Resolution to “Windows 10 Cannot Detect the Second Monitor”
Updated On August 17, 2021 | by Austin
Connecting a second monitor is a trick to increase productivity. Usually, people with heavy work-loads prefer combining extra monitors so that the amount of work to be done can be doubled. It is very simple to attach an additional screen with Windows 10. But technical fault can prevent the Windows 10 from detecting the second monitor. So, if you are the victim of same problem, we have the best solution for you. Read till end, to fix “Windows 10 cannot detect the second monitor” issue:
Second Monitor Cannot be Detected by Windows 10- Solved Here
Method 1: Hardware troubleshooting to fix monitor connection issues:
Usually, hardware issue causes second monitor connection errors. So, such connection problems can be fixed using the tips and tricks given here below. Before performing any other troubleshooting, try to change settings of your device and fix hardware faults.
- Check the cable connections from the display to the video port on your device.
- Chances are high that the issue is taking place due to the broken or faulty pin of connection, so try to replace the cable.
- Make sure the wires are connected to the correct cable input
- The incompatibility can be the reason behind connection error, so check for the firmware compatibility first and then fix the bugs or errors related to compatibility issues. If required, update the firmware of your device.
- Check your output port on your device. Try to switch the ports as it can fix the connection issues to a great extent.
- Restart your system to clear the internal memory
- The issue can be with the display itself, so get it tested from the manufacturer
Method 2: Fix external monitor connection issues with the latest graphics driver
Update the Graphics driver:
For updating the graphic card driver, you need to follow the below-given steps:
- Go to the Start menu
- Search for “Device Manager”
- Now, open the Display adapters
- Right-click the adapter and choose Update Drivers
- Choose Search automatically for updated driver software option.
- Restart your computer.
Re-install the Graphic driver:
- Open the Start menu
- Now select Device Manager and select the topmost option
- Open Device adapters with double-click.
- Right-click on the adapter and choose the Uninstall device option.
- Now select “Delete the driver software from this device.”
- Tap Uninstall
- Next, restart your device.
- Go to Device Manager
- Click-right the computer and choose Scan for hardware changes.
Once you complete the steps, the graphic drivers will be installed on your device.
Rolling back graphics driver:
If Windows 10 is unable to detect the second monitor, there could be some issues related to the drivers you have updated recently. So, in such cases you need to roll back the previous or pre-installed graphics drivers:
In order to remove or re-install the older version of graphics drivers, follow the steps given here:
- Go to the Start menu
- Now look for the Device Manager and click on the top-most option
- Open Display adapters
- Right-click on the adapter and select “Properties”
- Click the Drivers tab to open
- Tap on Roll Back Driver option
- Choose the option and answer the questions
- Click Yes
- Now, restart your device.
Method 3: Troubleshooting external monitor connection errors using “Settings”:
Force the second Display connection:
- Go to Settings and then System
- Click Display
- Now, under the “re-arrange your displays”, click Detect from the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Connecting wireless display:
To connect the wireless display and use it as the second monitor, follow the steps given here:
- First, open the Settings
- Click Devices and then Bluetooth & other devices
- Now, select Add Bluetooth and other devices
- Choose Wireless display or dock
- Make sure that the wireless display is turned on and discoverable
- Select “display” from the options
- Now, follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.
These are the tried and true that methods can help you use to detect and connect the second monitor on your device on Windows 10. If none of them helps, rush to the service center can take technical assistance from the professional.