How Does the Ceramic Car Coating Work for Your Caravan?
Updated on October 18, 2021 | by Alan Biles
Newcastle gets around 238 sunny days every year. Ceramic coating and other types of paint protection can protect your caravan from sun damage.
Paint protection works through a chemical reaction between microscopic silica particles and other additives present in the coating itself. When applied to a surface, the paint bonds with the surface to form a hard coating. The bonding happens when you cure it properly using either an oven or a UV lamp.
Why Ceramic Coating?
The ceramic coating method of hardening uses oxidation instead of evaporation. So it offers a smoother texture than regular paints, where you usually have to polish or sand the surface before applying another coat or finishing clear coats.
This method minimizes imperfections on your paint job, making it look like it’s been professionally done with an almost mirror-like appearance. Experts in Newcastle, too, provide you with these services.
Caravan Coating Process
The process of applying the ceramic car paint onto your caravan’s exterior may vary depending on which company you’re going to use for this job. In general, though, some steps would remain the same.
- Thoroughly clean and wash your caravan to remove any loose debris, contaminants, and dirt.
- Prep the surface with either solvent or water using a pre-rinse agent to open the paint’s pores and make it ready for coating.
- Prepare the coating by either mixing it at home or purchasing premixed ones. Whichever one you choose, make sure that they’re color-matched for an optimal result (if you’re getting them from a professional). It’s also best if they’ve been stored at controlled room temperature; avoid those stored in garages or other high-temperature areas. Those can affect its curing process, which could lead to peeling off later on during application.
- Apply the ceramic paint evenly and in a thin layer by using a high-quality brush or roller. Repeat this process until you’ve achieved your desired thickness.
- Let the base coat cure overnight at room temperature before moving on to their curing process.
- Apply a top coat to add additional protection, durability, and shine.
- Last but not least is for you to protect your newly coated surface with non-abrasive cleaners while avoiding harsh chemicals that could damage the coating’s finish.
The exterior of the caravan is made from a very durable paint finish called enamel.
Enamels are often solvent-based and rely on a chemical reaction that produces a hardened film resistant to scratches, damage, and other environmental factors, including water exposure.
This type of coating doesn’t last too long as it quickly wears off due to abrasions while constantly being subjected to the elements.
How Does Ceramic Coating Help Your Caravan?
As per Newcastle laws, people can live in caravan parks or other “movable dwellings” for up to five years. Apart from improving its looks, applying a ceramic coating Newcastle onto your caravan also does these things below.
It uses solid particles that form an integrated protective layer by bonding with the substrate underneath for superior protection against most types of automotive chemicals.
A ceramic car paint will make your caravan look like it just rolled off the production line by giving it a shine and lustre that’s hard to ignore.
Allow it to be Waxed Easily:
Unlike other types of coating, waxing your caravan would produce less residue, which makes for more accessible application and removal in the future. This is all possible because of its hydrophobic properties.
Resistance from Corrosion and UV Rays:
Ceramic coating in Newcastle can resist corrosion caused by saltwater mist or deposits, which means you won’t have to worry about any rust forming on your vehicle later on down the road. It’ll also block out 99% of harmful UV rays, so expect lesser fading and discoloration of your caravan’s paint job.
This process is different from solvent-based enamel, which requires baking at high temperatures for hours because no harmful solvents are present in its composition. So, you won’t have to worry about inhaling toxic fumes once it’s been cured.