6 Marijuana Marketing Strategies for Your Cannabis Business
Did you know the marijuana industry faces various online advertising restrictions? Due to these limitations, cannabis brands without a sound marijuana marketing plan struggle to promote their products and generate sales.
Keep reading to become an expert on cannabis advertising restrictions and the top six marijuana marketing strategies. Whether you’re promoting the better seeds for newbies or the most popular weed strains, there’s a way to reach the right audience.
Let’s get started!
Marketing in the Cannabis Industry
Similar to alcohol and tobacco, cannabis is an age-restricted substance. As a result, regulatory bodies create and enforce marketing rules to keep children away from pro–marijuana messages.
Each state has different advertising requirements for cannabis compliance. Here are some of the widely adopted guidelines on marijuana marketing:
- No elements that appeal to children, like cartoon characters
- No talk of medical or health benefits
- No depicting the consumption of cannabis products
- No misleading or untrue statements, including those about competitors
- No endorsements or testimonials
- No promotions, prices, or potency discussion
- Advertisements for infused products must have the label ‘For Adult Use Only’
Social media marijuana marketing is tricky, as individual platforms have unique requirements:
- Facebook doesn’t allow any cannabis adverts that show the consumption or sale of recreational, prescription, and illegal drugs—regardless of local laws. It only permits verified marijuana business pages to appear in searches.
- Google prohibits paid adverts for any substances that change your mental state, whether medicinal or recreational. It only allows cannabis business websites to appear in search engine results using SEO.
- Instagram has been known to ban users from posting marijuana-related content.
Top 6 Marijuana Marketing Strategies
How are you supposed to keep up with marketing in the cannabis industry with all these restrictions? By incorporating tried and tested advertising tactics, of course.
Here are six of the best cannabis marketing strategies:
Before you start thinking about how to market your dispensary, make sure you can answer these questions:
- What does your brand represent?
- Who is your target market?
- Does your brand appeal to your ideal customer niche?
- What are their needs?
- What type of packaging best suits your brand?
- Does your packaging match your demographic?
Once you have a clear idea of your brand identity, it’s easier to advertise your business.
As mentioned earlier, compliance is non-negotiable with marketing in the cannabis industry. If you don’t follow the advertising laws, you could receive steep fines and put your company at risk.
Make sure you have a thorough understanding of the dos and don’t of cannabis marketing before posting any promotional material—both physically and digitally.
Building a strong online presence is a crucial part of marijuana marketing. If you haven’t gone digital yet, you’re likely losing out on a lot of organic traffic and potential sales.
Although Google strictly prohibits paid marijuana adverts, cannabis–related content can still rank on the first page of online search results.
Here are some SEO-friendly tips to improve your brand’s digital presence:
- Ensure your website is geared towards mobile users and is easy to navigate. Include all necessary information, like your location, contact info, current menu, etc. Consider creating an opt-in loyalty program that allows you to stay in touch with your customers.
- Post useful, factual, and engaging content that incorporates relevant keywords. Cannabis digital marketing is all about connecting with your community.
- List your business in local directories like Yelp and Google My Business.
- Encourage customer reviews and professionally respond to negative ones.
Although you can’t postpaid adverts on Facebook, Instagram, and TikTok, you can still maintain a positive social media presence. These platforms allow you to connect with your audience, increase brand awareness and online visibility.
Due to the limitations of marketing in the cannabis industry, it’s vital to consider different types of advertising strategies. Partnering with brand ambassadors and generating interest using word-of-mouth is an excellent way of increasing visibility and attracting new customers.
Cultivate relationships with other cannabis-related social media accounts, create mutually beneficial content, or start an affiliate marketing program. Consider a loyalty program that rewards committed customers and prompt them to tell their friends about your exciting offers.
Using podcasts as a marijuana marketing strategy is a relatively untouched territory. Few advertisers are taking advantage of this channel, which means you could see speedy results without spending thousands of dollars.
Consider sponsoring a cannabis-centered podcast on a local scale if you’re a small retailer to reach a wider audience of people. You’ll connect with those genuinely interested in marijuana products.
Here are some extra tips and tricks to incorporate into your marijuana marketing strategy:
- Optimize your Google My Business (GMB) profile with your correct company contact details, including business name, phone number, street address, and site URL.
- Be consistent in the way you present your information on your website, social media accounts, and GMB profile.
- Update external cannabis directories with your dispensary’s information. Some of the most popular choices include Wiki Leaf, Leafly, All Bud, Weedmaps, The Cannabis Industry, and Pot Guide.
- Aside from showcasing your full product menu, make sure to display detailed descriptions and clear images to give your customers all the information they need.
- Use email and SMS marijuana marketing to encourage existing customers to make repeat purchases.
- Attend marijuana shows, events, and expos to gain exposure for your brand.
Grow Buds and Your Business
Cannabis companies have a couple of extra hurdles to overcome in the advertising world. Luckily, there are plenty of creative, easy, and reliable ways to attract more customers and generate sales.
Ready for your cannabis brand to reach new heights? Incorporate these top marijuana marketing tips and watch your business grow faster than an autoflower seed.
Read This Also: How to Buy Wholesale Full Spectrum CBD Oil