Know How Sleeping Position Also Affects Health
Updated on June 4, 2021 | by Austin
The sleeping position plays a very vital role in providing us a good and quality sleep. But did you know that these positions also affect our health?
There is no doubt in saying that if you want to stay fit and happy then it is important to start your day with good vibes. A happy morning is always the result of high-quality sleep and it only happens when you sleep in your comfortable position. Each person’s sleeping position differs from one another. Some are side-sleepers while some like to sleep on their back and some are habitual in lying down on their belly. Every position is different and affects differently on the overall health of any person.
Many people think that sleeping position does not matter in providing quality sleep. But it is not true. Positions are equally responsible for good sleep like a good quality mattress. As we all know there are mattresses available in different sizes and materials, like memory foam, latex, hybrid, innerspring, etc. We need to select the one that suits us by comparing the different mattresses. We can bring into comparison the various types of mattresses like latex vs hybrid mattresses and then see which suits best for your sleeping position. But beforehand, let us understand what latex or hybrid mattresses are.
Latex mattresses are made naturally using natural latex and provide support and pressure relief. This type of mattress is ideal for sleeping positions like back, stomach, side as well as even.
Hybrid mattresses are the one that has pocketed coil innerspring which sinks less while you lie on it.
You are bound to get confused in choosing among various beddings. It is quite difficult to choose the mattress without any proper knowledge but you can undergo the sales process of the brands where the salesperson would provide you with every necessary information about the product. You will get to know which is the best one according to your sleeping position.
Types Of Sleeping Position
There are several types of sleeping positions that people love to follow while they sleep. People are so fond of their positions that they can sleep comfortably on any mattress but they cannot compromise with the positions. Here are some common types of sleeping positions and their effect on health. Have a look:
Belly Sleep Positions
This is one of the most common types of positions, generally. But did you know that you can face some major health issues if you continue sleeping in this position? Here are some of the problems:
- It helps in reducing snoring issues.
- If you are fond of sleeping on your belly then you can face problems during your pregnancy period. At that period this sleeping position is not good for the baby.
- Back pain, headaches, neck pain are some major issues.
- This position obstructs the airways to our lungs.
- Sleeping on your stomach puts pressure on your nerves which results in tingling, numbness, and nerve pain.
If you are a back sleeper then you can enjoy many of its benefits. According to experts sleeping on your back is one of the best positions that helps in preventing body pain when you wake up in the morning.
- You will get fewer facial wrinkles.
- Say bye to severe back problems.
- Rare possibility for heartburn problems.
- The facial cream stays on the face.
- Increase in snoring problems.
- Increase in the problem of sleep apnea.
Side Sleeping Position
A side-sleeping position is also one of the most common and comfortable types of position that gives the pleasure of sleeping. It is a good position for couples as they sleep cuddling with each other.
- If you sleep on the left side then you will feel fewer heartburn problems.
- It helps in making your brain health better.
- Helps in maintaining better blood flow.
- It helps in reducing the constipation problem.
- Long time sleep in this position can make your arm numb.
- Lead to a high risk of having, neck, hips, spine, and back pain problems.
- Possibility of having early face wrinkles.
- Saggy breasts too.
There are many pros to this sleeping position but on the other hand, we cannot deny the truth that it also has so many cons. However, the possibility of disadvantages can be decreased by using a good mattress and bed. The size of the mattress also affects your sleeping position. There are various sizes available to choose from. You can choose one depending on your requirement and comfortability. If you are a single person, then you can choose either a full-size bed or a twin bed. Read below to understand the difference between full bed vs twin.
The twin bed is the smallest available size in the market. This mattress is ideal for medium-sized singles, children, teens, etc. This mattress is only for single sleepers and those with little space in their room. The dimension of a twin bed is 38 inches by 4 inches.
On the other hand, a full-size mattress can accommodate an adult and a child. This bed can accommodate growing teenagers and can also fit into smaller rooms. Its dimensions are 54 inches by 5 inches. Understanding your size requirement of the bed will make you know which type of mattress is good for your sleeping position.
Sleeping Position For Several Health Issues
Some sleeping positions are very helpful to solve many of your health issues. Some of them are:
- Prevent Back Pain: If you are suffering from severe back pain then try not to sleep on your stomach as it will increase your pain. Either sleep straight in a good quality mattress or you can sleep on your side by taking support of the pillow.
- Lower Back Pain: If you are suffering from lower back pain then a side-sleeping position is best for you. It supports knees, hips, and shoulders.
- Shoulder Pain: This may happen due to the wrong sleeping position while taking a side-sleeping nap. It can be prevented by sleeping on the back with pillow support. If you are fond of the side-sleeping position then you can hug a thick pillow to give extra support to your shoulder and try not to sleep in this position for a long time. keeps changing it after some time.
- Broken Humerus Problem: If you have such a problem you can sleep on your back or in an armchair. Let your arm be free as much as possible and do not take the pillow support.
- Neck Pain: The best position to prevent neck pain is that either you sleep on your back or sleep on your side. It will be better if you use a flat pillow below the neck so that it can support the natural curve of the neck.
- Sciatica Pain: The back and side-sleeping positions are one of the best ways to sleep if you want to relieve sciatica pain. Some people say that sleeping on the floor also helps in preventing this health issue. Use a pillow while sleeping to get additional support.
- Snoring Or Sleep Apnea: The best way to sleep to prevent these issues is to sleep on your side. Avoid the back sleeping position.
The Bottom Line
That’s all about the sleeping positions and their effect on our health. If you are suffering from several problems then try some effective sleeping position to get instant results.